Monday, September 26, 2011

Chicken Cordon Bleu. . .Light!

On Saturday, I had the distinct pleasure of accompanying my 79 year old grandpa to Sam's Club. We've had this Sam's Club visit in the works for a few weeks now, and we were both looking forward to it. Let me tell you, that man is the source of my amusement no matter where we are, and our trip to Sam's did not disappoint. Highlight of the trip, in the shampoo aisle:

Grandpa: "Where's the shampoo?"
Me: "Over here. What do you like, Head and Shoulders?"
Grandpa: "Nah, I don't like that."
Me: "How about some Pert Plus? It's two in one!"
Grandpa: "That looks okay." [Pause] "What's that (pointing to a bottle of Crew)?"
Me: "Oh, that's Crew. It's like the trendy men's shampoo. Makes you smell really. . .masculine."
Grandpa: "Give me that." *Puts jumbo sized bottle of Crew in the cart*

It was a doozy. Aside from the entertainment, Sam's was also good for some nice cuts of pretty cheap meat. I bought a scoop of boneless skinless chicken breast for $1.97/lb. It was a 15 pound scoop and it had eight breasts - can you do that math? These were the biggest chicken breasts I've ever seen. We took a few of them over the my brother and sister-in-law's place on Saturday to grill out (fabulous!). Today I thawed out one (that's right - one) breast so that I could make a nice dinner for Craig and I tonight. We had a delicious lightened version of Chicken Cordon Bleu, thanks to Taste of Home. For the full recipe, please see Light Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe at Taste of Home. I followed the recipe closely, making a few changes in seasoning based on our taste, and subbing buttermilk and Special K for plain milk and Corn Flakes, because that's what I had on hand. We both really enjoyed our dinner - it felt decadent, but it didn't break the 'calorie bank.' Score!

(Photo taken from www.tasteofhome.com)

1 comment:

Feel free to leave comments, but please remember to be nice :)